Give it a go; you know you want to

As a Journalist student using this blog to gain a sense of how to write, what to write about and to generally gain some experience I am going to bore you with this tool. I will bombard you with film reviews, books reviews, news and every now and then my opinions on life in general (this may be more often than you expect). But don't let this put you off, I'm sure you will find something of interest which will entertain and perhaps even draw a few laughs.

Sunday 11 March 2012

Shopping...

... is becoming ever so much more difficult these days. Not just for one reason, but a whole array of reasons.

All the stores seem to be going into administration, and then going poof, never to be there for me to buy their products again. Walking through town today and saw atleast 11 stores that had closed since just before Christmas. Admittedly I didn't shop at all of them but seeing all those empty shop fronts makes me a little bit sad. The only places in any city or town that seem to be staying open at the moment are the charity shops. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against charity shops, infact I used to buy many books from the Salvation Army back home, but now I have a kindle and a billion and one books on that to read, the charity shop seems to no longer serve a purpose for me. My nan on the other hand is always in there buying books, handbags, scarves, coats and other crap she really doesn't need, that she takes back to the charity shop a few months later.

And as for the stores that are still open (and that aren't charity shops), well, they're a bit crap too. Its getting a bit sad when the best place to go and buy clothes is the supermarket (George at Asda, F & F at Tesco etc). But you go into primark and its all the same crap, just in a different colour and the wrong size; and you know perfectly well because you're paying relatively cheaply for your clothes that you'll be in again in a fortnight buying the same damn thing. The amount of leggings from Primark I get through are ridiculous, but for £3 a time I'd rather buy them, then pay extortionate prices elsewhere. That brings me on to my next point.  Not only does everywhere having something that nobody really wants but its also really expensive. Everything just keeps going up in price, which means we're spending less, which mean businesses are making less, which means they go into administration and close, leaving us with... guess what???? Less places to shop!!!

Today in town I felt like shouting "Heyyyy!!!! Why does everything have to show your belly these daysss????" Yes its fashion, but what about us slightly larger women who by no means want our middle region on show. We go out to the stores and everything is tiny, short, doesn't cover anything etcc... We're selfconscious enough, don't go and make things blooming worse! And yes since gaining a few extra pounds at uni I'm stuggling to fit my growing bum and thighs into the things I'd like to wear, but their is no equivalent in stores such as Evans and other larger shops. They don't sell shorts, just three quarter lengths and cut offs... I don't want to look like my trousers shrunk in the wash, I want to look a little bit more fashionable than that.

At the rate its going with stores closing and the other not providing what the consumer needs we'll all be hitting Decathlon and buying tents to wear, because I'd rather be seen in one of those than a vest top that barely covers my feminity or a pair of shorts that let the whole world see every bit of wobble that I'm trying to keep hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment